Welcome back to the hair typing series, thank you for joining me. Today’s post will be a continuation on hair thickness ,with a focus on fine hair.
What is Fine Hair?
Having Fine hair means that your individual hair strands have a smaller diameter and are hence smaller in size and much harder to feel between your fingers.
It is completely normal to have naturally fine hair, so if you have fine hair embrace it, but if your once thick hair strands are fine then look into your hair care practices.
Fine hair should not be confused with thin/sparse hair. Thin hair relates to density (amount of hair you have on your scalp), which in the case of thin hair is limited.
The strand thickness is not related to density(/volume) , so it’s possible to have fine; dense hair ,thin hair or medium density hair.(more on density in the next post)
How to determine hair strand thickness
There are two tests you can carry out to determine your strand thickness;
- Thread test
- Feel test
I have discussed the two tests in depth in this post; Hair thickness
This are my results from the thread test, a test I highly recommend you try.
It is clear as day that my strands are really fine. The third one is my beard hair.
Characteristics of Fine Hair
- Breaks /snaps easily especially at the ends.
- Tangles and becomes frizzy easily.
- Easily gets weighed down with product ,too much product will make it harder to achieve definition from styles.
- Easily gets oily or greasy ,it will be much easier to experience shine with fine hair.
- May struggle with product build.
- Doesn’t hold styles well.
- It gets wet easily even if low porosity.
My hair definitely meets the characteristics above. Breakage has been a struggle due to a lot of manipulation, which I now know should be kept at a minimum. Let’s look at some proper hair care practices;
How to care for Fine Hair
Fine hair is more fragile compared to thick hair and hence has to be handled more gently.
- When protective styling, avoid heavy hairstyles that will create weak points along the length of the hair further weakening it and making it break easily.
- Go for larger partitions when installing braids or other protective styles, this ensures you are not putting too much weight on your fine hair.
- When detangling your hair be gentle ,work in sections, use a detangler and go in with finger detangling first before you reach for your comb. Learn about; proper detangling and proper combing
- Heat may further compromise fine hair, so avoid it and when you use it protect your strands with heat protectants.
- Chemical treatments eat away at your hair structure further weakening it, so avoid them.
- Manipulation should be kept at a minimum, go for styles that ensure you are not constantly handling your hair.
- Ensure you protect your hair from friction and moisture loss at night by covering your hair with a satin bonnet or sleeping on a satin pillow case.
- Be gentle as you dry your hair ,that rubbing is doing more harm than you think. Use an old t-shirt instead of a towel, check out plopping.
- Choose light weight products like liquid based leave-ins that you can spray on your hair and light weight oils.
- If you prefer creamy leave ins or butters then go for those with a smooth or light consistency.
- When shampooing make use of a sulfate free shampoo to avoid dryness ,tangles and breakage caused by their sulfate rich counterparts.
- Incorporate a repair/reconstructive/strengthening leave-in to your routines to give hair some structural protection.
- Incorporate clays and other natural clarifiers to reset your strands from any build up.
Keep in mind that heavy products will weigh your hair down making it break easily and making it even harder to achieve definition from your styles.
When layering your products(LCO ,LOC …)don’t use too much product with each application and ensure you work in sections for proper product distribution.
Have you determined your strand thickness? Let me know in the comment section below.
Kindly share this post with your friends and family and don’t forget to subscribe. Thaaaaaaank you!!!!!